wrong colours with a 16 depth

Frederic Dumas fdumas "at" ina.fr
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 11:06:02 +0000

> I am running vnc server from a linuc pc with:
> vncserver -depth 16 -geometry 1280x1024
> When the viewer is set with a 16 depth, I do not get all the colours
> right. It only works well with a 24 depth, which is slower and weird,
> as the server only uses a 16 depth.

I found a solution thanks to Stefan. I summarize it here for the record.
I run vncserver on an Intel linux PC and vncviewer on a MIPS SGI Irix
5.3 workstation. I think there are two issues:

- without '-truecolour', the viewer displays bad colours ; maybe this is
a byte order problem (little indian / big indian) between the two

- with '-truecolor -depth 16', the Irix workstation does not show proper
colours ; I found (xdpyinfo) that the Irix 5.3 X server supports 8, 12,
and 24 depth, no 16 depth is defined. So, the only options that work
well at the viewer side are '-truecolor -depth 8' '-truecolor -depth 12'
and '-truecolor -depth 24'.

So, I use the following commands now:
vncserver -depth 12 -geometry 1280x1024 -query 'linux server host name'
vncviewer -truecolour -depth 12 -geometry 1280x1024

to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com