Can't connect to vncserver running on Ubuntu Linux box

James Weatherall jnw "at" realvnc.com
Mon Dec 5 22:26:01 2005

Eric,

In order to connect to VNC servers started with "vncserver" on Un*x, you
normally need to specify the "display" number to VNC Viewer, since
"vncserver" desktops allocate their VNC port based upon their X display
number by default.

E.g. vncviewer my_computer:5

To connect to VNC server running as X display :5.

You state that you can connect using telnet to port 5900 on the linux box.
Are you sure that this is the case?  Can you run "netstat -an" and check
what address is bound to TCP port 5900?  It sounds like something is
listening on port 5900 on the localhost interface.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.